The Neighborhood Academy is proud to continue the Breaking Barriers Capital Campaign, through which we've expanded our facility to build a middle school and create an all-boys 6th and 7th grade program.
Why build a middle school and begin serving boys in the 6th and 7th grades? For several reasons:
- According to the Pennsylvania Department of Education, seven local middle schools are consdered "Failing" (as of 2015);
- The graduation rates for African-American males are 59% and 16% for high school and college, respectively, indicating a need for a holistic educational model that meets their needs;
- Parents, donors, and community members have consistently and unanimously asked us to expand the scope of our efforts; and
- Most elementary schools in the region break at 5th grade, thereby creating another logical point of admission to our school.
What do the 6th and 7th grades look like? They are designed to:
- Tap into the unique way that adolescent boys learn. Engaging in a comprehensive, intentional course of study that spirals into our Upper School curriculum, students in our 6th and 7th grade experience a curriculum that prepares them for the academic rigors they will face in later grades, features hands-on, STEM-oriented learning in a dedicated 'maker space', and a focus on character formation.
How does the expansion affect the school as a whole? The campaign is strengthening our school by:
- Preparing and acculturating students for our college-preparatory curriculum, thereby increasing retention and college readiness;
- Serving our existing constituency, and giving families with younger boys the opportunity to send all of their children to TNA; and
- Allowing us to raise funds for the purpose of retiring debt on our existing building, thereby making the school debt-free.
- Contact Shannon Prentiss at (412) 362-2006
To inquire about our 6th/7th Grade All-Boys Program:
Contact Brent Jernigan at (412) 362-2001 ex. 109
To inquire about contributing to the Breaking Barriers Capital Campaign:
Contact Mark Kurtzrock at (412) 626-6852